Author Topic: Twitching and Muscle Spasms  (Read 851 times)

Offline fieldhearts

• View Profile
Twitching and Muscle Spasms
« on: November 12, 2012, 11:01:16 AM »
Good morning everyone,

Just wondering if there are a little or a lot of Chiarians with twitching out there?
I have been in a lot of chats about eye/facial twitching (if anyone is interested, I've also found a recent scientific journal article about that and chiari).

But mine is an all over one on a bad day.
It kind of feels like someone has put itching powder in my spine and my nerves are going haywire.
It's fairly unsettling/upsetting.
It does get quite painful because of the muscle twitching wears out the muscle (the twitching stops when I'm literally exhausted) and I'm currently seeing a rhuemy with muscle/joint pain.

Any insight or anyone feel the same?

Take care

Megan
X

Offline Marina

• Global Moderator
  • On here too much!
    • View Profile
Re: Twitching and Muscle Spasms
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 03:57:07 PM »
Hi Megan, I get a similiar thing not sure if it's the same as you. After I had the Meningitis, I started getting twitching and jerking some so violent I almost fell off the bed, they had to put up the cot sides lol. Apparantly it's a form of Epilepsy called Tonic Clonic seizures, does that sound like yours? I also get facial spasms where my face will contort, I hate it it must make me look really horrible :(
Marina xx
Chiari diagnosed July 2009 Syrinx diagnosed Nov 2009. Decompressed and zipped 17th July 2010.

Offline fieldhearts

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 10:05:50 PM »
Hi Marina,

Sorry to hear about your spasms :(
I've heard about those seizures but have had quite a few epilepsy tests as my original chiari dx was suspected epilepsy before the MRI.

My twitches aren't really that violent at all, just annoying and painful really...it's on the same scale as shivering but without the cold sensation and normally comes with a lot of sensitivity and disorientation. Tends to normally mean I can't walk around properly as it buckles my knees a lot.

Chiari is such a lucky dip of symptoms, isn't it :P

Offline Marina

• Global Moderator
  • On here too much!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 01:00:15 AM »
It's horrible Megan, always lurking around don't we'll ever be completely symptom free!
Marina xx
Chiari diagnosed July 2009 Syrinx diagnosed Nov 2009. Decompressed and zipped 17th July 2010.

Offline Spurs Chick Nic

• CM1 - finally diagnosed after 18yrs of pain!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 02:40:53 PM »
Hi Megan

I get the eye/ facial twitches a lot and also in my legs, its so irritating, gets me really frustrated especially when my leg spasms and it wakes me up in the night and startles me!

I've spoken to my docs about this but they don't seem to take any notice of it, we just have to get on with it I suppose!
Nic x

CM1 diagnosed October 2011, decompression surgery performed March 2012

Offline fieldhearts

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 11:25:46 AM »
Hi all,

Think I might have come across a reason for the twitching/cramping/etc.
Went to the GP to have a check up, got a call from the doctor as I was leaving and apparently the blood tests I had done months ago weren't looked at properly.

Turns out I'm borderline vitamin D deficient which might explain aches, sensitivity and twitching.
Not sure how it's possible as I eat meat, including liver - drink lots of milk and walk to uni everyday so diet wise it's not very likely that I should be insufficient.

Very weird...so going to start taking supplements and see if that helps at all.
Not convinced as my mum made me take vitamins all the time when I was little and I've kept up the tradition.

Who knows!? Mybody seems to be full of surprises :P

Megan
Xx

Offline Tindar2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 06:14:18 PM »
Hi Megan

I had to take vitamin D some time ago for the same reasons.  I had spasms in my feet and hands and arms.  They said I was Vit D deficient.  Just something to watch for as initially they gave me vitD and I was fine but then I was given D with calcium and that upset my stomach.  I have a kidney problem so that messes up my vit D etc but it's settled down now.

I have taken Gabapentin ever since and haven't had any spasms for years.  Just a thought.

Tindar xxx

Offline fieldhearts

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 11:44:16 AM »
Tindar,

Wow, this forum has everyone with everything...nice to know i'm not the only one :)
I shall keep that info in mind as i've had lots of gastrointestinal issues over the years and it'll probably cause issues with my IBS.

Fingers crossed the Vit D helps a bit.
I've also been on Gaba for the Chiari back when my NS(s) actually gave me medication.
Worked for a bit with the pain but had to be upped to Lyrica (Pregabalin) but that made me hideously depressed.

I think it might be an idea to go back on the Gaba if the supplements don't work if it has worked well for you :)

Thank you for the suggestions.

Take care,

Megan

x

Offline eliza

• decompression surgery may 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 08:30:31 AM »
Hi Megan Don't know about the vit d but i know there are times that my whole nervous system feels like it is being stripped and my body seems to have small spasm type reaction. This occurs usually around certain noises, the biggest offender traffic on wet roads. There have being times when i have felt i was going insane as though my whole body was exploding. Thankfully it seems to be easing more as time goes on. And if i am not mistaken i was taking vitd and others at the time.
I guess it is also just part of this very interesting condition that we have!!!
Good luck with it all love eliza x

Offline fieldhearts

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 03:49:36 PM »
Hi Eliza,

Ouch, that sounds horrid but I totally agree with you that being in a noisy wet street sends things haywire.
It's so annoying because I find that it is really difficult to explain or get my head around to myself, let alone trying to tell other people why you feel like you're going insane!

Glad to hear that yours seems to be easing up :)
Take care too!
Hugs

Megan
x

Offline DavidS

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 12:26:07 PM »
Since my shunt went in, I get this 'electric shock' feeling above my right eye (shunt is on right side) and gives me the twitches, very frustrating but only happens like once a week!
Decompression was done on 23rd Jan 2012 at Newcastle RVI under Mr Bhattathiri, Duraplasty removed under Ms Brown at Southern General (SGH), Glasgow 19th March 2012. Shunt inserted 30th May 2012 under Ms Campbell at SGH (in Ms Brown's absence)